08 March 2016

It has been a long time since I posted in my Blog.  I got too tied up in the political ranting about a phase of the history of Branson.  Sorry, I did miss writing but had to concentrate on more positive things in my life and business,

I decided to write again to comment on the Branson History.  My decision was prompted by a very recent event.  This weekend I lost a friend, but much more important to you readers, WE lost a true Branson Pioneer.

Several (about 6 or 7) years ago I met a guy at breakfast one morning and ended up sharing my breakfast table with him a couple or three times a week.  He was a gentleman and a businessman and we enjoyed many discussions about Branson history and so many other topics.  He dressed in a white long sleeve dress shirt vitally year round.  Seldom a tie, and even less seldom a sport or suit coat.  I knew him by first name only for at least a year and perhaps even near two years before I had cause to ask his last name and what he "used to do" here in Branson.  His advanced age had led me to believe he was surely retired and his professional and gentlemanly manor just seemed to have me think he was a retired old man who lived in his memories of a law office or a stock brokerage or some other far off big city professional.  He had wise advice and seemed to know many who wandered into the restaurant we frequented.

We became friends quickly and enjoyed discussions of history, business and politics every other morning or so.  He had lost his wife a few years prior and seldom elaborated on that but he mentioned it.  I finally after some months asked what he did around Branson.  I expected to hear about a professional career back in Ohio or Iowa or in a big city like St. Louis or Chicago, instead he said he a STILL had  a small  business in Branson he had bought several years ago.  I had to pull details from this humble man and he finally explained he owned Table Rock Asphalt.  This wonderful man was a true pioneer who literally helped build this town I love and call home.  Being an absolute glutton for history of Branson I asked questions nearly every morning he was able to join  me at breakfast. He went out of his way to introduce me to other pioneers and entrepreneurs.  He enjoyed advising me and others on so many topics, but only after we asked and even then he was ever so humble and gracious.  At age 96 Harles Simmons left us this weekend and went to his reward.  I truly believe he is in a more perfect version of downtown Branson now.  He is enjoying some of the buildings and businesses he helped develop and build.

I can't quite explain the feelings I have for a man 40+ years my senior who treated me like a friend and equal and relished in giving advice and reliving history of the town he and I love so much.  Harles introduced me to several other fine gentlemen who very much like him loved to relive the history of the people and places in Branson, Missouri.  We met for a few years and his age finally started taking effect.  I visited him at a nursing home a couple times and he got better and moved to an assisted living facility.  Being a newer friend I became "unknown" to him quickly but he faked it well and acted as though he knew me and frankly, it didn't matter, he was still so cordial when I visited.  I had not visited in awhile when he failed and I am sorry I missed one more visit.

I want to move this old political blog/opinion page to tell about my own and other peoples experiences with these grand Gentlemen and Ladies who helped build this wonderful area.

I am only embarrassed and sorry that I had to lose this nice friend before I realized how important he was to me and let others know.

This is from his obituary and helps tell about this great guy:

Harles served his country in the United States Army during World War II as a Sergeant. He served in New Guinea, Luzon and Southern Philippines. He received the Philippines Liberation Ribbon w/One Bronze Star and Asiatic Pacific Theater Ribbon with Three Bronze Stars.

When he came back to the states he and Ruth lived in the Bellefonte area near Harrison, Ark. Harles and Ruth moved to Branson in the spring of 1955. He worked with Tom Jenkins at the Ford Dealership in Branson (Branson Motors) beginning in 1955. About 1961 he went to work for Table Rock Asphalt. He later became owner of the Table Rock Asphalt Company.

Harles was a member of the Lions Club in Harrison and Branson. He was one of the early members of the Lions Club in Branson. He was a member of the Branson Christian Church in Branson and had served on the Boatman’s Bank Board in Forsyth.

I was privileged to meet this guy and get to know him just a little bit.  He was true pioneer of our Branson, Missouri.  Not only will I miss him, his knowledge and wisdom will be missed by many.






No comments: