11 November 2010

I was privileged to serve as one of the marshals at the Veterans Day Parade today.  I met some absolutely wonderful people from all over this fine country.  I helped for the lines and fill the ranks for the participants and spent most the morning in the center section of the Convention Center parking lot.


I was not in the military, but have great respect for these special people.  I know very little about military life, ranks, divisions, in some cases I can't even tell you the difference between the Arm and the Marines.    I do know they all were there today and I thanked as many as I could speak with.  I learned a few things and will never forget what these fine men and women did for ME. 


My favorite quote today:  I was asked by a half dozen 50 and 60 somethings in uniform or partial uniform, where the 1st Cav unit was and then they pointed to their shield and horsehead patch.  Not being a military guy I missed the point. OK, I finally gave up and shouted to all my troops asking,  "Anyone know where these guys can find the 1st Cavalry Unit".  A Sailor from the Submariners float yelled back "they took that hill over there and are 10 miles behind enemy lines"  


I had to tell the Rangers to stay on their float and quit jumping out. And the Submariner corrected me when I told them to head on out.  They said, it's "DIVE DIVE DIVE"
EVERYONE Had fun!  I love Branson.

No comments: